The Tenth Biennial Conference of the
Association for Machine Translation in the Americas
The tenth biennial conference of the Association for Machine Translation in the
Americas (AMTA-2012) will be held at the Catamaran Resort Hotel in San Diego California,
Sunday, October 28 through Thursday, November 1, 2012.
AMTA-2012 will take place immediately following the 53st Annual Conference of the
American Translators Association (ATA), also taking place in San Diego, October
24-27. The two conferences are coordinating program content around joint topics
of interest. These are designed to deepen MT researchers' and developers' understanding
of the needs of the commercial translation industry and human translators, while
also fostering translators' understanding of modern MT technology and the role of
advanced translation automation in enterprise globalization and commercial translation
In addition to a research track, the main AMTA-2012 conference program will once
again include presentation tracks for government and commercial users of MT and
a "Technology Showcase" of commercial and research-stage MT technology. Tutorials
and workshops will be held on Sunday, October 28 and on Thursday, November 1.
- A 20-Year AMTA Retrospective with Muriel Vasconcellos
- Invited Keynote talks by Bonnie Dorr (DARPA), Luis von Ahn (Duolingo), Don DePalma
(Common Sense Advisory), Caitilin Walsh (ATA) and the leaders of the JHU Summer
Workshop on Domain Adaptation for MT (Hal Daume III, Marine Carpuat, Alex Fraser
and Chris Quirk).
- Sunday Tutorial by Jost Zetzsche on Using MT in Today's CAT
- Sunday Workshop on MT Post-Editing Technology and Practice!
- Additional exciting workshops and tutorials (see detailed program)!
- MT Technology Showcase Exhibition - free and open to the public!
- Registration is now CLOSED to allow final conference preparations and travel. Registration will re-open ONSITE on October 28th.
- Workshop on Translation & Social Media (TSM 2012) which were scheduled to be held on Thursday, 1st of November 2012 has been CANCELLED.
Welcome Reception: 6:00-9:00 pm, Sunday, October 28th
Join us on the beach at the Catamaran Resort Hotel (the conference venue) to meet
and renew acquaintances, enjoy light foods and have a drink on us. Late arrivals
will still be able to register for the conference until 7:00pm. This is open to
all registrants who have arrived in San Diego.
Banquet: 7:00pm, Tuesday, October 30th
The conference banquet at WaveHouse will immerse participants in San Diego beach
culture. Located in historic Belmont park next to the Giant Dipper wooden roller
coaster, you will dine just yards from the Pacific Ocean. The evening will feature
an expert surfing demonstration on the FlowBarrel continuous surfing wave . The
Banquet cost is $90 and pre-registration is recommended since seating is limited
to the first 125 people. A sweater or light jacket may be needed since this will
Closing Session: 5:30pm, Wednesday, October 31st
The AMTA 2012 Closing Session will feature a retrospective interview with AMTA Founding President Muriel Vasconcellos on 20 years of AMTA. It will be followed by a farewell reception closing the conference.